Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Quarnatine Quotidien - Day 1

Day 1- January 24, 2021 M and I drove across the US-Canada border today. The border guard was a young Quebecoise apparently in her first day on the job (she apologized for being new and slow, that is how I know). I handed over our passports, Min's Canadian and my US and informed her we were returning to Canada after 4 and a half years in Japan (I did not mention that prior to Japan we had been in Kenya, Paris and Bern for an additional 20+ years abroad, why complicate things after all). 

 "And your status" she asked "are you a permanent resident?". 

 "Yes" I confidently replied. 

 "So you have a PR card?" she asked with a tone that obviously implied I should hand it over to her for inspection. 

 "Unfortunately, no, I sent a request to New Brunswick for a card, but it is pending. I do have my original landing form from 1995 with me though". 

 She did not ask for my landing papers, nor did she ask for our Marriage License, and proceeded to wave us through! I see three possible explanations for this minor miracle (1) New on the job, she made a mistake, (2) I bluffed my way across the border by showing supreme confidence (3) They have me listed on a computer system as a permanent resident dating back to my original landing in 1995 which was before Permaent Resident Cards existed. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment