Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Quarantine Quotidien- Day 3

Physical World Update: The good news is the Global and Mail Subscription and delivery orders from the local grocery and beer store, all worked flawlessly.  It is interesting that i tried and determined it is not possible to get delivery from the Government wine store (LCBO), but it is possible to obtain deliveries from the government Marijuana store (M would not let me do so though).  Overall, physical delivery has been much better than online news and connectivity (see below). The Globe and Mail is a great little paper with good local Canadian News, though it is a bit of a surpise how skimpy it is when considering that it is the largest national paper. I was able to complete the Sudoku and the KenKen but the crossword was too difficult. I have set myself a goal to be able to complete one of these killer crosswords before we exit quarantine.

 Online World Update: A Canadian SIM card arrived by courrier and we bought an overpriced plan so now have phone and data - though at a pretty high cost given we are paying for the non-working Verizon plan AND an overpriced Roger's Plan. When buying the plan they asked for two pieces of ID. This proved impossible, as they had to be "Canadian or resident ID". I said I did not have a PR card, but maybe I could use my wife's ID as she is a Canadian. After asking to speak with her to confirm her agreement, they said this would be OK. Min gave me her drivers license, and I read them the number. Then they asked the expiry date - oops it had expired 6 months ago! Another long pause on the other end. Eventually I succeeded with her passoport and SIN numbers. I wonder if the guy reported us to homeland security mounties given all the rather ridiculous difficulties I had producing valid ID? I reserved a home internet connection installation for next week Tuesday (the earliest they could arrange it as they have to mail us a router). The options were phone or cable and I chose cable since there is no phone in the house, and I saw some coax coming out of the wall in the study. Unfortunately, in the real world again, or at least the interface with it, I took a walk around the house and found the coax has been cut about 2 feet from the wall on the outside and doesn't actually go anywere. I'll be interested to see what happens when they try to install.

No comments:

Post a Comment